3 lbs (1.3kg) tomatoes, cored and quartered
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion peeled and diced
1/2 cup (110g) dark brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup (60mL) apple cider vinegar (such as Bragg brand)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp celery salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground allspice
- Place tomatoes into the Vitamix container and secure the lid. Select Variable 7. Pulse 5 to 6 times, or until tomatoes are roughly chopped, using the tamper to press the tomatoes toward the blades.
- In a large saucepan with a heavy bottom, add oil and heat over medium-low heat.
- Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes, brown sugar, vinegar, salt, and all seasonings to the pan. Stir well and let simmer for about an hour.
- Carefully transfer the mixture to the Vitamix container and secure the lid.
- Select Variable 1. Start the machine, slowly increase to its highest speed, and blend for 1 minute.
Cool ketchup before serving.